It is a common misconception that in order to be “liked” in business, you have to be “yes man/woman” in order for that to be the case. That could not be any further from the truth. The ability to negotiate is critical in your day to day business, especially in real estate. Some studies have even shows that people that do not know the art of negotiation are 60% less successful than those who do. If you feel as though you have not mastered this art. Here are some tips:
1. Determine your desired outcome before you start negotiating.
2. Know you audience. Make sure you do your homework and figure out who is sitting across the table from you. Figure out as much as possible about the other party as possible before the negotiation.
3. Understand your worth and what you are bringing to the table.
4. Listen, listen, listen. Pay attention to the other side and you’ll be surprised at how much can be accomplished when you not only hear what the other side is saying but if you actually listen.
5. Start with optimism. Successful negotiators are optimistic to the process. You can really hurt your side or effort if you come into a negotiation with a negative attitude.
6. Never threaten and don’t get emotionally involved. Remember that negotiations are are business transaction. Keep your cool and never personally attack the other party. That won’t move things forward and only hurt your cause.
These are just a few tips to help you out in the art of negotiation! Hope these help!